064 – Photography In Mountain Biking – We Chat with Andy Cole
Andy Cole – Photographer, (one of the best mountain bike photographers out there!) Mountain Biker, Adventurer and all round Top Bloke
On episode number Sixty Four we are chatting with Andy Cole. Andy is a massively passionate photographer and even thought he does take photography of more than just mountain biking, mountain biking and action sports is where his true interests lie. You can check out Andy’s images on his very cool website at alcphotography.co.uk
Andy first got in contact when he had just published an article for Pink Bike (see below) about his adventure with Sean Green and his Grizzly Munro Diaries. I was so impressed with Andy’s images for that article and the overall Grizzly Munro idea that I had to reach out and ask both Sean and Andy to be guests on the show.
I was lucky enough that they both agreed to come on and tell their stories. One from the riders perspective and the other from the photographers. I had Sean on the podcast back on episode 057 (listen here) but now with Andy’s schedule having a few gaps he was kind enough to put an hour aside and come on the show to tell us about how this all started, how he and Sean first hooked up and what it was like to photograph and ride in such unpredictable elements.
We chat about this plus, how Andy got into mountain biking, what he loves about it, how and when he started photography and how he catches the perfect image. Plus much more.
- How Andy got into mountain biking
- What bike he rides
- Why he started photography
- How he got to work with the likes of Red Bull and Pink Bike
- Why Andy thinks mountain biking and photography are a great marriage
- How Andy and Sean got to know each other
- How he got involved in the Grizzly Munro Diaries
- Why Andy and Sean both love these crazy wild adventures
- What photography gear Andy uses and how much it costs
- How he gets the perfect picture
- What he is looking for when in new locations for a good image
- How him and Sean work together as a team to get great shots
- How Andy edits his photos and what software he uses
- How Andy thinks the use of drones will change things
- Andy’s advice for anybody wanting to get into the photography game
- What Andy has planned for the near future including a mountain biking photography workshop
- How to get in contact with Andy
It was great to get a photographer with Andy’s experience on the show, as images play such a large role in the mountain biking industry. From brands selling new products to the latest race victories and everything in between, we all relay on images to tell us the story. And lets not even start on social media (please). I chat to Andy how he thinks the industry has changed over the years. We get into how photography equipment has changed and how powerful the use of images and video are for the mountain biking industry in these media driven times. We also chat about the use of drones and Go Pro’s and how that has impacted the industry.
Andy takes us through what equipment he uses and what type of gear you should be looking at purchasing if you are interested at getting into photography yourself. It’s not as expensive as you may think! Andy also chats to us about his techniques for capturing great images and how timing and patience can play a large role. We chat about how you get published in Pink Bike and how to go about making some money from all your hard work. We also chat about some interesting plans Andy has for the near future and how you can follow along.
If you want to know more about getting involved in photography or to simply take better snaps of your mountain bike adventures and travels with your pals, then tune in and let one of the best in the business tell you how.
To Connect with Andy:
Photography Workshop: Photography Workshop & Skills
Resources in this Episode:
Pink Bike Article: Scoping Out Scotland’s Hidden Gems by Andy Cole
Pink Bike Article: Photo Epic: A Scottish Highland Bikepacking Adventure by Andy Cole
Episode Image via Instagram: @dialledinuk
To Share Your Thoughts or Get In Contact:
To Help Out The Show:
- Rate and leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe and listen to on iTunes
- Subscribe and listen to on Stitcher
- Subscribe and listen to on Spotify
- Subscribe and listen to on Podbean
Massive thanks to Andy for coming on the show and talking photography.
Thanks for listening and being part of the Tribe!
Join me next week for another MTB TRIBE Podcast show!