081 – Irish MTB Racing Legend – Meave Baxter – Part 2
Todays Guest: Meave Baxter – Irish MTB Racing Legend
On episode number Eighty One (part 2, listen to part 1 here) we are chatting with Meave Baxter about her racing career since the 90’s, her wins, her loses, how things have changed over the years, how to stay safe on the trails and what she has planned for the 2019 season.
On episode 79 when I was chatting with Robert, founder of Freewheelin’ off the air (listen here), I asked him who I should get on the podcast. The first words out of his mouth was ‘Meave Baxter, what a legend’. He was right. I reached out and Meave was kind enough to say yes and come on to tell her story. And what a great story it is. Meave has been rooted in the Irish mountain biking scene since being a young kid and after a short stent out due to university responsibilities she quickly got back into the scene and immediately made her presence felt.
We chat to Meave about what the racing scene was like at that time and how things have changed since then. Meave tells us some great stories of the people she looked up to, people she raced against, how her first race was done on a full rigid bike and how she made her own body protection from old foam camping matts. Plus much more.
Find Out: Part 2
- How Meave has become known as the ‘Doctor Fox’ at the Red Bull Fox Hunt
- How this came about
- What Meave’s responsibilities are and how she helps the fallen
- The kind of injuries she has to deal with at such an event
- What we as riders can do to stay save on the trails
- What we should all carry in our packs for emergencies
- Meave’s 2018 season review and how she felt she got on
- Her up and coming competitors
- Meave tells us about her epic silver medal in the World Series and the crazy circumstances surrounding her run
- What gym time Meave puts in
- How Meave works out her race schedule
- What other exciting mountain bike stuff she has planned for 2019
- How to best keep up to date with Meave and her racing
Meave knew early on that racing was just a hobby and that she needed to enjoy it and that that was the most important thing of all. In telling her story about her awesome Silver Medal at the World Series she chats to us about how she lost her way a little, lost the fun aspect of why she was doing this. It is a great insight into what professional athletes must feel like and the many different aspects of trying to be successful they must have to deal with.
Meave also tells us about her ‘Doctor Fox’ roll at the Red Bull Fox Hunt and tells us how she helps and looks out for fallen or injured riders as she follows the pack coming down the mountain. Maeve also talks about how we can all be safer on the trails and what we should be carrying in our packs in case of a fall or a small emergency and gives her experience on how we should think about dealing with curtain situations. It is all great information we should all be thinking about.
It was great to get Meave on the podcast and hear her story. Meave still has a massive love for the sport of mountain biking and her passion is plain to see. She still enjoys getting out there in all conditions may it be wet, cold and miserable, Meave will be riding with a smile on her face. It is this feeling of community, nature and being at one with the elements that I think keeps us all at this sport or past time. And it is such an awesome time to be involved!
Thanks again for listening to the podcast and if you haven’t tuned in to part 1 of Meave’s interview I would highly suggest you do so. You can listen to it here!
To Connect with Meave:
Resources in this Episode:
Meave’s Sponsor: www.greenbikes-store.com
Meave’s Bike Club: Cuchulainn Off Road
Shout Out To Myles McCorry & : https://galibier.cc
Meave wears The Mistral Jacket and believes it to be the best waterproof jacket on the market.
Check it out here: https://galibier.cc/?s=mistral+jacket
To Share Your Thoughts or Get In Contact:
To Help Out The Show:
- Rate and leave an honest review on iTunes/ Apple Podcasts
- Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe and listen to on iTunes/ Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe and listen to on Stitcher
- Subscribe and listen to on Spotify
- Subscribe and listen to on Podbean
Thanks so much to Meave for coming on the show and sharing her story. Don’t forget about Part 1!
And thank you once again for Listening!
Join me next week for another MTB TRIBE Podcast show!