084 – E-Bikes. Are They For You?
We chat with Robert from Freewheelin’ about the E Word and find out if an E-Bike is really for you.
Its episode Eighty Four and we are talking about E-Bikes. Yes the dreaded E-Bike conversation. You either love them or you hate them. But are they for you and should you be looking at buying one?
I love the e-bike debate, both Robert and myself after doing episode number 82, where we reviewed the 2019 Vitus Escarpe 29 VRX (listen here), decided to publish a further episode about an e-bike he recently reviewed on his website. The discussion ended up more of a chat about e-bikes in general than an actual review. We both came to the conversations not knowing each other’s views or opinions regarding the introduction of e-bikes into mountain biking.
Robert recently spent several weeks riding Vitus E-Summit which the guys from Chain Reaction Cycles kindly lent him. Robert reviewed his experience on his website, and after reading the article (see below), I thought that it would be interesting to get him on the podcast to chat about his first experience on an e-bike.
We talk about the differences between an e-bike and a regular bike, how they handle differently, what trails they are suited for, the benefits, the drawbacks, uses and market prices.
- How Robert got a lend of his Vitus E-Summit e-bike
- His first impression riding the e-bike
- Robert’s general option of e-bikes for mountain biking
- What Robert thinks e-bikes are best suited for
- The trails Robert tested the e-bike on
- Roberts opinion on battery life and ease of use
- If e-bikes are changing mountain biking
- What you can expect to pay for an e-bike
- Why 90% of the bike companies now produce e-bikes
- Who are e-bikes marketed towards
- Are e-bikes the future of mountain biking
- When are e-bikes better than a regular mountain bike
- Would Robert buy an e-bike
I really enjoyed my chat with Robert regarding e-bikes. It is a conversation that has replaced the 27.5 Vs the 29 debate. We chat a little about how the e-bike has been received differently in other countries- especially the USA, where they have been banned from a large number of the trail networks. Companies are increasingly promoting e-bikes as the next new thing and are seeing a dramatic increase in sales. There is no doubt that as battery technology advances to become smaller and lighter, e-bikes will continue to get better mileage, handle better and handle more like regular mountain bikes. But does this make them right for you?
We chat about how an e-bike can be advantageous for specific trails and some riders but does this mean that you will want one sitting in your garage? We talk about a level entry e-bike is the same price as a mid-level mountain bike and if it was a case of purchasing one or the other. We discuss some of the pros and cons of e-bikes that will help you to decide if you should buy one.
So charge up your batteries and find out a little more about e-bikes and if they have a future in the world of mountain biking.
To Connect with Robert and Freewheelin’:
Resources in this Episode:
Freewheelin’ – Vitus E Sommet Review: http://freewheelin.ie/cycling-ireland-approve-e-bike-class-for-2019-mtb-enduro/
To Share Your Thoughts or Get In Contact:
To Help Out The Show:
- Rate and leave an honest review on iTunes/ Apple Podcasts
- Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe and listen to on iTunes/ Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe and listen to on Stitcher
- Subscribe and listen to on Spotify
- Subscribe and listen to on Podbean
Thanks so much to Robert for coming on the show and chatting about the Vitus E Sommet and the e-bike debate.
And thank you once again for Listening!
Join me next week for another MTB TRIBE Podcast show!